Thursday, March 3, 2011

Two Great Books on Kimono

I found two cool books on awesome kimonos at the library. Even if you don't read Japanese, the photos are eye-catching. So, you'll enjoy the contents a lot. What I like them is that those photos in the books aren't anything traditional or high class. I often get sick of kimono shops who try to sell me super expensive kimonos or keep calling me!(Actually one shop called me up in this morning...Ouch!)

Anyways, young women in these days tend to wear secondhand kimonos and cheap but cute kimonos. Antique ones are easy to get and also cute. Especially kimonos made in the Taisho era (1912-1926) and in the early Showa era (1926-1989) are pretty and beautiful.

In the book, Omoshiro Kimono Gara (written by Lunko Nagata) you can find some photos of kimonos from that eras. The most interesting photos of kimonos are that have helmet motifs, war planes, or anything supported WWII. No one would put on such kimonos nowadays though... This book, however, shows antique kimonos, amasing motifs of kimonos and more.


"Lunko のオモシロ着物柄" (Lunco no Omoshiro Kimonogara)



ISBN 4-12-390078-X C0077



On the other hand, this book written by Mamechiyo shows lots of photos of kimonos in the modern styles that mixed with international tastes or other motifs like polka dots and etc. The author Mamechiyo has stores in Tokyo. I'd love to visit some day soon! Anyways, you'll love this book too.


"豆千代の着物モダン"(Mamechiyo no Kimono Modan)


ISBN 4-12-390058-5

5 comments:

  1. They look interesting. I have many books on Japanese textiles... in English of course... and a few in japanese, just to look at the pictures :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to find good books on kimono in English. If I find any good books, I'll show you. But yes, just looking at the pictures is still enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet Snow Flakes, if you want to see how to make pasta with roses (and other flowers) please go here

    http://alessandrazecchini.blogspot.com/2010/12/fresh-pasta-with-leaves-and-flowers.html

    ciao
    A.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS

    I am putting your blog on my blog roll :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the recipe and adding my blog on your roll!

    Have a great week!!!

    ReplyDelete