Monday, January 10, 2011

hatsumode

January 10th was Seijin-no-hi, Coming of Age Day, and lots of young people who turned 20 in 2010 became officially adults. On this day, many women wear a furisode, which is categorized as the most formal wear for single women, on the other hand, men usually wear a suit these days. I sew lots of women in beautiful furisode everywhere on the 10th. This day should be the first time to wear the kimono for them but they won't wear it once they marry. Married women are supposed to wear a tomesode, which is very simple and not colorful as a furisode. Also who wears the most formal kimono every day now? right? So, they don't have many chances to put on a furisode; therefore, they enjoy wearing it.

But I admit that wearing a kimono for the first time isn't comfortable and makes me want to take it off right away! You need to get used to it... but yukata, which is casual and for summer, is ok.

Apart from Coming of Age day, both of us are already 33 years old now, so we just went to a shrine for hatsumode. We wished our good health and happiness at the shrine. I was glad the shrine wasn't crowded at all on Sunday.

I was longing for wearing a kimono because it is hard to wear a kimono and go outside with a small child now, so I was really happy about it.

Oh, I have to tell this! Because our family was spending the weekend at my parents' house, I didn't bring my kimonos to their house. After I started changing, my mom and I found out she didn't have any obiage that wraps up!!!! While I was changing, she looked for it everywhere but couldn't find it. There was one way I could do was to wear a coat! Mmmmm....no one can't find out that there isn't an obiage but also notice what color of kimono and obi I'm putting on...

I thought and thought! How smart I am!! I found a piece of silk cloth that is about a yard and started folding and put it inside obi as though it was like a real obiage. I think it worked unless someone looked at me from the side.

Anyway, it was a good weekend. Have a nice week!

No comments:

Post a Comment