Friday, January 14, 2011

Kimono okumi

My grandma left 1 tan of kimono fabric that had been unsewn and washed, and my mom has kept it until now.  Unlike recent mainstream fabric, which is silk, my grandma's is wool.  But the fabric has many holes eaten by bugs and you need to fix them before you sew it again.  Why did my mom keep it?  I'm sure my mom didn't want to waste it.

Actually, my grandma divorced when my mom was 17 yo and left the house.  Last time my mom met her was more than 35 years ago and my grandma passed away!  I think my mom couldn't dump it! 

Anyway, I decided to sew it for my training and have just begun sewing.  Today, I did marking on okumi that comes right next to a collar.  I needed my memo to work just to make sure everything is alight. 

2 comments:

  1. She did well to keep it, a precious memory, and rare to have a woolen textile. Will you make a kimono or something else?

    ciao

    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Alessandra. Yes, it is rare! I've never seen new wool kimono fabric at a store. Well, I'm making a kimono!

    ReplyDelete